Not A Badass


I am not a badass.  That word is sometimes used to describe me, but I don’t think I am one.  Yes, I will call others bad-asses if I believe that they are, but I am not one of them.  I don’t even know what qualifies others as badass to me.  It is an obscure word that has a different meaning for each person.  Below describes why people have been using that word to describe me.  I don’t believe it because all I am doing is following my passions.  I do what makes me happy and those journeys are for myself, not to prove something to anyone else.  I do not share my accomplishments to prove that I am better than anyone else or that I’m tougher.  It is not a competition.  My hope in sharing these experiences is that I can inspire you to follow your passions and push yourself in ways you never thought possible.  My past self would have never thought these accomplishments possible and now I am pushing myself further both physically and mentally and enjoying every minute of it.

The summer started with some climbing and getting excited about running again, which I have been doing, but not progressing in since 2010.  When I had spare time this summer, I would run.  I then started doing longer runs back to back.  I was able to do 4-mile trail to Panorama (15 miles with a little less than 4000ft elevation gain) one day then Upper Yosemite Falls to Snow Creek (20 miles with the same elevation gain) the next day.  This told me that I was in better shape than I thought I was.  I had come up with a goal to summit Mt. Clark (one of the most stunning peaks in Yosemite National Park) in a day from the valley.  I figured this was possible with my newfound fitness.  The day would prove to be harder than I could have expected.

Mt. Clark from the decent
I started out at 5:30am to begin what I thought would be a 36-mile day with over 7,200ft in elevation gain.  I was able to make it to Merced Lake (14 miles) in about 3.5 hours and took a snack break there.  I debated on filling my water there, but didn’t drink much thus far so I decided not to.  I have a pack that carries 1.5 liters of water and I knew Clark was about 6 miles round trip from Merced Lake with mostly cross country travel and a lot of elevation gain ahead of me.  I had been to surrounding peaks and lakes, but not to Mt. Clark.  I started up the correct creek drainage and knew I should follow the next creek I come to on the right hand side.  When I got to that creek it seemed too soon and I didn’t see a peak that was worthy of the name “Quartzite Peak” where it should have been relative to the creek (I was using a topo map).  I continued through a dense pine forest around what I thought should be named Quartzite Peak, up a creek drainage and up a mountain that was the highest in front of me.  As I summited this peak I realized two things, 1) I just ran out of water and 2) that peak over there is Mt. Clark. 

Not Quartzite Peak
I had to head toward Mt. Clark to get to a reliable water source and I was starting to feel dehydrated so I decided to traverse across the ridge toward the correct summit and when I got closer I would decide whether to go down and get water or try to summit the peak.  I was starting to get a little woozy and decided I may need to abandon the summit for water when I found a chute with a little snow in it.  I dug past the first layer to get some clean snow to eat and fill my hydration pack with.  I started to feel better so I decided to go for the summit.  I was on top 8 hours after I left home and was finally able to stand on a mountain that has taunted me for years.  I ate lunch up there and laid the snow filled hydration pack in the sun to melt.  Getting some water from that snow was the only way I was able to summit.  Now I had the challenge of finding the correct way down and getting more water ASAP.  I made it down to some beautiful alpine lakes, filled my water and was on my way.  The way back down was definitely faster and I was still feeling pretty good.  I filled up more water at Merced Lake on the way down (not making the same mistake twice in a day) and continued running.  I made it home 15 hours after I started.  The 37-38 miles was the furthest distance I’ve covered thus far and it was definitely challenging, but I knew I could still push myself further so a week and a half later it was on to complete another goal I had set fourth last year and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to accomplish it, running the High Sierra Loop in a day.

Looking East from the summit of Mt. Clark.  There's my water down there!
I set out on another early morning, 5:30am, from the Tuolumne Meadows store heading for Vogalsang first, then the rest of the loop.  The High Sierra Loop is gorgeous trail that goes by 5 High Sierra Camps.  These camps are in beautiful locations in Yosemite’s high country.  I have done the loop in sections for work and pleasure, but I wanted to see what I could do in a day.  The loop is about 48 miles long with 7,200 feet of elevation gain.  I knew there was a chance of thunderstorms that afternoon, but being on a trail, they would not pose too much of a threat.  I made it through Vogalsang and Merced Lake with ease refueling about every 8 miles and filled up water and sat down at Merced Lake.  I thought the hardest hill of the day would be from Merced Lake to Sunrise, but the hill proved not to be that bad.  I was starting to see backpackers on this section of trail and they were thinking I was a little crazy, which I admit is probably true.  A mile before sunrise I hit my halfway point and I felt great!  I did a little celebratory holler with fist-pump and continued on.   Thirty miles in I got to the Sunrise Trailhead along the 120 where I had stashed some food, electrolytes and Mountain Dew (I discovered the pick-me-up it provides during my first 50K in 2010).  I sat and ate some food, drank some fluids and saw the thunderheads getting closer.  I had also put my iPod here so I could have some music help in the last 18 miles of my day.  As I ran toward May Lake the clouds were rolling in pretty quickly behind me and the thunder was echoing all around me.  I started gaining elevation toward May Lake with a granite slab to my right and Mt. Hoffman towering over me to the left.  The storm came in quick and was directly overhead before I knew it.  It was one of the loudest and most intense thunderstorms I’ve ever been in.  The only extra layer I had was a thin wind jacket (not the best for rain).  I decided to put that on, had put my music away and got in lightning position for about 10 minutes.  I was scared to go up higher because I was seeing lightning striking on the ridge below me.  I knew the camp was close, but felt safe where I was so I didn’t want to risk moving.  After the storm passed by a little I decided it was then or never to continue on my run.  I knew there was an exposed section in a couple of miles and needed to get through it between the different storm cells.  I started running again as it was dumping rain.  Again, backpackers thought I was crazy.  The trails were turning into streams and the granite slabs were sheets of water.  It was really beautiful and I could feel the thunder every time it would echo through the area.  I made it through the exposed part and it started to clear up a little.  I was eventually able to put my music back on, which was a great tool in keeping forward progress.  I was definitely starting to get tired, but still felt decently well.  Each uphill in the last 6 miles felt so much bigger than they do hiking or backpacking, but at that point I knew I was going to complete my goal.  If anyone has finished a marathon or other long distance run, you know the emotions that take over your body.  With 1 mile to go I had my moment of tears, with disbelief that I actually going to complete this thing, something that I would have thought was impossible a couple years ago.  I finished 11 hours and 50 minutes after I started.  It was such a great feeling to have pushed myself to complete the loop and I couldn’t help but think that I can push myself further.  My recovery from this run was great too.  I was able to go on a 20-mile run two days after completing the loop.  Again, I don’t tell you about this to brag or prove anything to anyone.  I love long distance running and seeing what the human body is capable of being trained to do.  I want you to read this and be inspired to work toward your goals and follow your passions.

After accomplishing the loop I decided to rest a little and gear up to train for a road marathon to see what I could do with some speed training on top of the endurance that has built up through my summer.  I am still training for that race and working hard 3 days a week with that.  Recently I haven’t been motivated to do much else in the park because I have checked off so many things on my tick list thus far, but then a conversation with a friend sparked some motivation.  If you are not constantly progressing then you will just get into a routine and become stagnant.  Because of this realization I decided to accomplish one of my climbing goals, a 15-pitch route up Cloud’s Rest.  We had a 6-mile, mostly cross-country approach to the climb.  The climb, My Favorite Things, consists of fifteen 50-60 meter long pitches gaining 2,700 feet in elevation.  Most pitches are in the 5.7-5.9 range with one 5.5 pitch and one 5.10a pitch.  The ratings were a little soft, but still good climbing.  Once on top of the technical climbing we had 1,200 feet more 3rd class terrain.  After this was a 7-mile hike out.  The day took us 14 hours car-to-car and was a great adventure and a beautiful multi-sport day. I am so happy I was re-inspired to continue ticking off my goals.
Climbing Cloud's Rest 
So what is the moral of all of this adventure talk? Follow your passions.  If reading this inspires you to go run a mile or go climbing for the first time or do any other activity you are passionate about then it is worth sharing.  I do not want to be put on a pedestal because I do things most people think is crazy or impossible for them.  You are only limited by your mind.  If you train your body and your mind appropriately you can accomplish anything.  Find something, or multiple things, that you love and do it/them.  Live the story you want of your life here on beautiful planet earth.  It is not about being a badass or being better than anyone else, it’s about being the best version of you, whatever that may be.  Again, you are only limited by your mind.  So enough from me, go out and live your life. 

Summit of Cloud's Rest

Comments

Popular Posts