Trip Report: So Cal Triple Crown

On Tuesday, June 30th at 3:32am I started up Mt. Baldy via the Bear Creek Trail to begin my attempt at the So Cal Triple Crown. The Triple Crown involves summiting the highest peaks of the three different mountain ranges in a day. I did the "Intermediate" version on the Fastest Known Time (FKT) website. I chose this version because it is the only one without the use of a chairlift/tram. It is about 46 miles with 15,000 feet of elevation gain and 117 miles of driving. I had never done any of the trails before, but had summited each of the peaks once before via different routes.

Mt Baldy (Bear Creek Trail)

I got to start in the dark on a steep trail with the help of my trusty headlamp. I started running uphill knowing I had about 5,600 feet of elevation to gain over about 6.5 miles to get to the summit. I wanted to be able to get there around sunrise! On the way up I could only see what was illuminated by my headlamp. Knowing the big day I had ahead of me, I would run what I could and walk other sections. Running in the dark and at dawn was the time I worried most about animal interactions and luckily the only glowing eyes I saw were from a deer. Once the sun came up enough to turn my headlamp off, I was very happy to have more light. When the sun came up I could see the valley below covered by clouds. It looked like a lake and the trail was beautiful and becoming more runnable. I summited at 06:08 and started on my way back down. When I started this journey I was hoping I would be able to 1) finish the triple crown and 2) see my first Big Horn Sheep in Southern California. On my way back down Baldy I was privileged enough to see that Big Horn Sheep. At that point I thought, "Well if I can't finish this thing at least I had a beautiful run on Baldy and saw a Big Horn Sheep."  I got down from Baldy 4 hours and 15 minutes after I started. I made a quick trip to the bathroom, then to the car to restock my pack with water, electrolytes and fuel.

Bear Creek Trail (Doesn't look like the Southern California most people think of)

San Gorgonio (San G) (Vivian Creek Trail)

I drove 60 miles to the Big Falls Trailhead near the Vivian Creek Trailhead to begin my journey up San G. I started running at 09:19 from the car knowing I had about 5,500 feet of elevation to gain over about 9 miles for this mountain. The trail was more runnable going uphill than I thought it would be. I was able to summit in 3 hours and 3 minutes and felt really good at the summit! The run down proved to be the hardest part of the entire journey. It was technical enough that I couldn't just stride out and go with gravity without feeling like I was going to eat dirt at any moment. I made it back to the car 5 hours and 20 minutes from when I started. I was pretty tired at this point and wasn't feeling super excited at the thought of having one more peak left, but I also did not have to attempt the whole thing again so I kept on moving.

San Jacinto (Devils Slide Trail)

Start of San Jacinto
57 miles in the car later I was at Humber Park in Idyllwild ready to start the last trail up the Devils Slide Trail. I couldn't help but have a smile on my face starting out because Idyllwild is one of my favorite places in Southern California and the view of Tahquitz (Lily Rock), where I first learned to rock climb, always makes me happy. It will always hold a special place in my heart and gave me the energy I needed to embark on the 4,100 feet of elevation gain over 7.5 miles to the summit. I felt surprisingly good, but starting at 16:20 made me realize I may also be finishing in the dark. The trail was fairly runnable, but I was worried about the downhill based on how my legs were feeling from coming down San G. But I was thankful that I had saved the easiest for last. I summited at 18:55 and started to wonder if I could break 17 hours total for the entire journey. On the run down I kept reminding myself that if I got hurt, I wouldn't finish making it about running smart, not fast. I ran smart and was happy on the flat sections so I could feel like a runner again. I finished at 20:48, 17 hours and 17 minutes after I started.

What Did I Learn?
Tahquitz Peak


  1. My fueling worked out pretty well. I tried to consume calories every hour on the run. I ate Honey Stinger Gels and Performance Chews along with water and 16oz of Nuun Endurance for each segment. In the car between segments I ate a peanut butter, nutella and jelly wrap and a Honey Stinger Waffle. I drank some coffee and coconut water between them also. 
  2. I looked at each section as an individual run. This made the journey more approachable instead of thinking of it as a 46 mile run with 15,000 feet of elevation. Every time I started up a new peak, I only focused on the task in front of me, not the entire journey. Staying present helped me complete it.
  3. I am so fortunate my body is able to do things like this. Many people are fortunate to do one of these in a day. Each of these mountains has something special and they are all some of the most special and wild places Southern California has to offer. Even though I've been pretty sore for a few days, I am healthy and happy to be able to push my body to do something like this.
  4. Running downhill was the hardest part!
From Dark to Dark

Comments

Popular Posts